The ALTANA Group develops and manufactures high-quality, innovative specialty chemical products. With us, you can help shape many important details of the world of the future. Our four divisions BYK, ECKART, ELANTAS, and ACTEGA have set worldwide standards in their markets. Our innovative products enable companies to develop technologies of the future today, technologies that make life easier, safer, and more comfortable. With sales of around 2.7 billion euros, we are one of the world‘s most innovative, fastest-growing, and most proﬁtable chemical companies. We currently employ more than 6,700 people who have good ideas for the world of the future. Discover your decisive plus for your future. Bringing you many advantages.
BYK Additives & Instruments is one of the world’s leading suppliers in the field of additives and measuring instruments. Around the world, the additives of BYK ensure that coatings and plastics obtain precisely the desired properties and the correct quality.
Technical Service Chemist/Engineer - Thermoplastic End Use
Your task structure
Independently performs laboratory activities under the direction of the Plastics Lab Manager to support thermoplastics technical service projects. The candidate should be familiar with both chemistry and standard testing. This person performs functions to provide all necessary services to the Thermoplastic End Use area of the Plastics Laboratory.
- Organize and perform thermoplastic technical service experiments and projects in Transportation end use areas as directed by the Laboratory Manager and/or End Use Manager
- Interface with laboratory technologist(s) on evaluations, processing, problem solving.
- Technical presentations to BYK staff members as well as customers.
- Must be willing to travel no more than six times per year to customer locations (one or two day trips) and present PowerPoint presentations to customers
- If required, must be willing to travel to Wesel, Germany for two-to-three week training.
- Assist and attend seminars, shows, technical conferences and industry associations as required by Lab Manager and/or End Use Manager (approximately 3-6 days per year).
- Occasionally work on-site at customer's lab as required by Laboratory Manager and/or End Use Manager.
- Assist Laboratory Manager in preparation of laboratory projects and related work activities.
- Interface with laboratory staff at BYK-Chemie GmbH in Wesel, Germany and BYK Shanghai on processes, problem solving, and new products
- Order and maintain stock of needed raw material.
- Reply to customer technical inquiries received by email or telephone.
- Handle hazardous waste according to procedure.
- Follow emergency response procedures.
- Draft reports of technical service experiments performed.
- Maintain cleanliness of laboratory and other facilities according to 6S.
Your recipe for success
- Knowledge relating to chemical engineering, chemistry, polymer science, polymer engineering.
- Knowledge and experience in the operation of laboratory equipment applicable to the chemistry.
- Understanding the safety considerations with concern to the processing equipment and labeling procedures of chemicals in the laboratory.
- Basic knowledge of physical and health hazards associated with some of the formulation components (e.g. pigments, powdered materials, etc.)
- Knowledge of computer programs necessary for generating reports and presentations (e.g. Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, etc.)
- Additional knowledge in following areas is a definite plus to long-term professional growth within the company:
- knowledge of PVC materials and testing
- knowledge of thermoplastic processing such as injection molding, extrusion, internal mixer, two roll milling, and compression molding experience
- knowledge of the formulation ingredients and the processing of thermoplastics compounds of resins such as polyolefin, polyamide, elastomer, and engineering resins
- knowledge and experience in evaluation of thermoplastic composites
- Problem solving skills on a mechanical and materials level is critical.
- Ability to speak and understand the “language” used in the chemical engineering (including processing equipment) increasing communication to understand the customer’s needs and capitalize on opportunities.
- Ability to develop presentations and present them in a professional and interesting way at sales meetings or in front of customers.
- Common sense awareness of safety and quality in the lab and in the company.
- Customer service skills for both written (literature) and telecommunication to relate and serve the customer
Your spectrum of advantages
In the ALTANA Group, you will work in a unique culture of innovation where the utmost importance is attached to promoting individual ideas and abilities as well as open, trusting interaction.
We invite you to get to know us better and to become part of our team. Discover your career plus in specialty chemistry. Please send us your application, preferably via our jobmarket www.altana.jobs or to: firstname.lastname@example.org
ALTANA AG and its subsidiaries is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Job number: US00524
Legal entity: BYK USA Inc.
Location: Earth City, MO
Area of operations: Produktion / Fertigung