The ALTANA Group develops and manufactures high-quality, innovative specialty chemical products. With us, you can help shape many important details of the world of the future. Our four divisions BYK, ECKART, ELANTAS, and ACTEGA have set worldwide standards in their markets. Our innovative products enable companies to develop technologies of the future today, technologies that make life easier, safer, and more comfortable. With sales of around 2.7 billion euros, we are one of the world‘s most innovative, fastest-growing, and most proﬁtable chemical companies. We currently employ more than 6,700 people who have good ideas for the world of the future. Discover your decisive plus for your future. Bringing you many advantages.
BYK Additives & Instruments is one of the world’s leading suppliers in the field of additives and measuring instruments. Around the world, the additives of BYK ensure that coatings and plastics obtain precisely the desired properties and the correct quality.
IT Systems Administrator
Your task structure
Administer and maintain existing virtualization, server, network, backup, storage, and collaboration/telecomm environments for multiple sites in the US and Mexico. Research solutions to meet business needs. Maintain topology and process documentation for data center systems. Participate in infrastructure change and implementation projects. Collaborate with and supervise external partners for troubleshooting, project work, or changes.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Administer existing VMware infrastructure
- Administer Dell VXRail hyperconverged infrastructure
- Administer existing Cisco Unified Communications infrastructure and Cisco WebEx Calling Platform
- Administer telecommunications functions and equipment
- Deploy virtual or physical servers following existing configuration policies
- Administer and deploy LAN and WLAN network equipment (Cisco brand) as needed
- Monitor LAN/WAN performance and troubleshoot problems as needed
- Maintain awareness of system security posture, make recommendations for improvement/mitigation as needed
- Perform backups of all systems and ensure safe retention in accordance with disaster recovery plan
- Monitor server health (physical and virtual), research, test, and apply patches as needed
- Maintain automated systems for software patch deployment
- Ensure efficient and economical utilization of equipment and resources.
- Provide for safekeeping of equipment and supplies
- Monitor space/power/cooling in data center locations, recommend and execute changes as needed
- Administer audiovisual technology for meeting rooms
- Participate in or lead projects related to infrastructure addition or changes, including design, procurement, and implementation phases.
- Collaborate with and supervise external partners for incident troubleshooting, project-related activities, or technical consulting
- Maintain an adequate level of knowledge of software and hardware being used in the organization
- Recommend hardware/software specifications for purchase as needed
- Provide supplementary support to client service staff for end users when needed
- Other duties as assigned
Your recipe for success
- Bachelor's degree in Information Systems or related field or equivalent experience
- 3 years of experience supporting server and/or virtual infrastructure operations
- Certifications in VMware or Cisco technology preferred
- Able to lift 40 lbs., with lifting and/or carrying of objects weighing 25 lbs.
- Requires kneeling, crouching, reaching and material handling
- Able to access all areas of the facility
- Able to communicate well, verbally and written
- Able to manage multiple projects and work independently
- Able to drive a car and fly on a plane, coping with conditions of overnight and national travel (4-8 trips per year)
- Able to work beyond normal office hours as needed for after-hours changes or projects
Knowledge & Skills:
- Extensive knowledge of enterprise-level virtualization systems (VMware preferred)
- Extensive knowledge of Cisco network equipment (switches, routers, wireless, firewalls)
- Extensive knowledge of server operating systems
- Extensive knowledge of IP Telephony Platforms, such as Cisco Unified Communications Manager, Cisco WebEx Calling, and Microsoft Teams
- Knowledge of vSAN technology
- Knowledge of Microsoft Server 2012-2019, Windows 10
- Knowledge of data center infrastructure operations and design
- Knowledge of network, server, client and physical site security best practices
- Communication, adaptable to different audiences.
- Project management
- Critical thinking
- Problem solving
- Process mapping
Your spectrum of advantages
In the ALTANA Group, you will work in a unique culture of innovation where the utmost importance is attached to promoting individual ideas and abilities as well as open, trusting interaction.
We invite you to get to know us better and to become part of our team. Discover your career plus in specialty chemistry. Please send us your application, preferably via our jobmarket www.altana.jobs
ALTANA AG and its subsidiaries is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Job number: US00536
Legal entity: BYK USA Inc.
Location: Wallingford, CT
Area of operations: Informationstechnologie (IT)