The ALTANA Group develops and manufactures high-quality, innovative specialty chemical products. With us, you can help shape many important details of the world of the future. Our four divisions BYK, ECKART, ELANTAS, and ACTEGA have set worldwide standards in their markets. Our innovative products enable companies to develop technologies of the future today, technologies that make life easier, safer, and more comfortable. With sales of more than 2.2 billion euros, we are one of the world‘s most innovative, fastest-growing, and most proﬁtable chemical companies. We currently employ about 6,500 people who have good ideas for the world of the future. Discover your decisive plus for your future. Bringing you many advantages.
BYK Additives & Instruments is one of the world’s leading suppliers in the field of additives and measuring instruments. Around the world, the additives of BYK ensure that coatings and plastics obtain precisely the desired properties and the correct quality.
End Use Specialist - Powder Coatings
Your task structure
Perform various laboratory functions independently to provide all necessary services for the Paint Laboratory, with focus on Powder Coatings. Serve customers, or potential customers of BYK USA Inc. via additive recommendations derived through experience or through TSRs and projects. Maintain effective information exchange with the End Use Manager.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Approximately 30% travel to interface with customers
- Independently outline, organize & perform Technical Service Requests (TSR’s)
- Independently initiates, leads, design, set up & conduct lab experiments
- Compile, document, summarize & interpret results of experiments, tests, and analyses
- Write technical reports or prepare graphs & charts to document experimental results
- Independently communicate technical information through written internal/external reports
- Propose & set project work priorities for self in collaboration with supervisor
- Evaluate competitive additive products as agreed upon by Group Leader, End-Use Managers & Product Managers.
- Evaluate new coatings, raw materials, binders, solvents, pigments, etc., per agreement with End Use Manager & Applied Technology Specialists.
- Independently prepare demonstration material for our technical sales and distribution staff
- Prepare & give formal presentations to workgroup + company technical community + customers + trade associations, universities, etc.
- Interface with extended laboratory staff at other ALTANA/BYK sites on processes, problem solving, & new products.
- Write technical reports or prepare graphs & charts to document experimental results
- Provide input for EU/TS monthly reports
- Take responsibility for & maintain instruments; provide & document training, maintain SOPs, perform or coordinate maintenance.
- Independently write SOPs for laboratory procedures & analytical methods
- Order & inventory materials to maintain supplies for equipment & laboratory
- Travel to Germany to receive technical training & interface with laboratory staff at BYK-Chemie GmbH in Wesel, as necessary
- Assist & attend sales meetings, as necessary.
- Assist in preparation and/or attend customer seminars, trade shows, society meetings, as necessary.
- Interface with technical sales team regarding Technical service requests, projects, lab sales tools and any other support
- Interface with raw material suppliers regarding pigments, resins, and starting point formulations for paints & coatings.
- Reply to customer technical inquiries received by telephone.
- Read and understand SDSs
- Work safely in a laboratory environment, actively participating in and complying with laboratory & company safety and 6S programs
- Successfully attend/complete appropriate EH&S safety training
- Maintain an orderly/clean and safe work environment
- Proactively identify, document, address and correct all near misses and unsafe behaviors and conditions.
- Follow emergency response procedures.
- Provide guidance for and initiate/participate in MOC reviews
- Provide guidance for and participate in inventory audits
- Provide guidance for and participate in lab inspections
- Identify/Document Near-Misses
- Provide guidance for and conduct investigation and follow-up activities for incidents and near-misses by performing root cause analyses implementing corrective actions
- Provide guidance for and perform routine daily maintenance functions such as clean-up, trash disposal, washing equipment, disposal of hazardous and nonhazardous waste in accordance with established procedures
- Perform other duties as assigned
Your recipe for success
- Bachelor of Arts/Science in chemistry or related field; Masters degree preferred
- 8-10+ years’ experience (post BA/BS) in Additives/Coatings (or related field)
- Excellent problem solving abilities.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to work with chemicals in a laboratory environment
- Ability to lift 50 pounds
- Ability to drive a car and travel by ground and by air coping with conditions of domestic and international travel
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Good telephone/email skills
- Data entry skills
- High level of expertise in formulation ingredients and process, application techniques and substrates for paints & coatings, particularly in powder resin systems
- Thorough knowledge of laboratory equipment applicable to paints & coatings in the powder markets
- Thorough understanding of safety considerations and labeling procedures of chemicals in the laboratories
- Knowledge about the BYK additive applications in powder markets.
- Knowledge of which products are unique and not easily replaced in customer formulations, leading to a more secure position.
- Knowledge of analytical methods specific to powder coatings: GPC, DSC, Gel time, and melt viscosity
- Basic knowledge of physical and health hazards associated with paints & coatings chemistries.
- Demonstrated capability to use computer programs for recording and analyzing data, generating reports and preparing presentations (e.g., Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, etc., and possibly including SAP or other ERP software, Minitab, SpotFire, SciFinder, PatSnap or other specialized software)
- Creative mindset to pursue new and challenging ideas
- Speak and understand the “language” used in the paints & coatings markets (including application equipment) increasing communication and building teamwork to understand the customer’s needs and capitalize on opportunities.
- Problem solving skills and the ability to correct flaws in the customer’s process and formulations with BYK additives.
- Independently initiate, lead, plan, organize, prioritize, and productively execute multiple projects and associated laboratory experiments.
- Collect, document and analyze data, identify trends, synthesize results, generates conclusion and next steps and report to supervisor
- Use of logic and reason to identify strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions, or approaches to problems
- Strong attention to detail and analysis
- Mechanical skills, ability to work with hands
- Independently prepare demonstrations, lab sales tools and other support materials for use by sales/distribution
- Independently prepare and deliver internal & external formal reports and presentations
- Present or publish at external symposia, conferences, trade shows, trade journals or peer-reviewed publications.
- Common sense awareness of safety and quality in the lab and in the company.
- Customer service skills for both written (product information via email) and telecommunication to relate and serve the customer over the telephone/Teams.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to provide leadership in a group environment or as part of a larger team
- Provide training to coworkers, sales staff, distributors and customers in areas of expertise
Your spectrum of advantages
In the ALTANA Group, you will work in a unique culture of innovation where the utmost importance is attached to promoting individual ideas and abilities as well as open, trusting interaction.
We invite you to get to know us better and to become part of our team. Discover your career plus in specialty chemistry. Please send us your application, preferably via our jobmarket www.altana.jobs
ALTANA AG and its subsidiaries is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Job number: US00459
Legal entity: BYK USA Inc.
Location: Wallingford, CT
Area of operations: Anwendungstechnik / Technischer Service