The ALTANA Group develops and manufactures high-quality, innovative specialty chemical products. With us, you can help shape many important details of the world of the future. Our four divisions BYK, ECKART, ELANTAS, and ACTEGA have set worldwide standards in their markets. Our innovative products enable companies to develop technologies of the future today, technologies that make life easier, safer, and more comfortable. With sales of more than 2.2 billion euros, we are one of the world‘s most innovative, fastest-growing, and most proﬁtable chemical companies. We currently employ about 6,500 people who have good ideas for the world of the future. Discover your decisive plus for your future. Bringing you many advantages.
The BYK division manufactures innovative additives as well as testing and measuring instruments for the coatings and plastic industry, and provides for surface gloss and scratch resistance. BYK Additives & Instruments is one of the world’s leading suppliers in the field of additives and measuring instruments. BYK Additives improve the product characteristics and production processes. The BYK Additives UK is based in Widnes, Cheshire and is part of the BYK Additives & Instruments Division of Altana AG, a privately owned global leader in true speciality chemicals. The UK business develops, manufactures and distributed two major product groups of inorganic additives, Laponite® and Fulacolor/Fulcat®. In line with Altana’s long-term goals, the business is investing significantly in both R&D and asset capability to ensure the continuing growth of these globally successful products.
BYK Additives Limited based in Widnes is a leading manufacturer of speciality chemicals, supplying additives to the coatings, consumer care, oil field and other speciality markets. The site has been the home of inorganic chemical manufacture since 1923 and a part of the BYK Division of ALTANA AG. Two major product groups are made on the Widnes site. These include chemically modified natural minerals and a range of synthetic mineral products supplied under the tradenames of Fulcat and Laponite
Development Chemist - Applications Technology
Your task structure
The role reports into the BYK UK Head of R&D, part of the Technology Group Rheology and Clays.
This is a hands-on, laboratory based role focussing on application development of existing and novel inorganic materials to extend our range of additives supplied to the above industries and evaluation in new applications and markets.
The role will involve working with customers and supporting the application technology team based in Germany and global technical service teams. As such, some overseas travel will be necessary.
Additionally, reviewing and preparing technical literature, attending conferences and working with academic partners to search out potential new markets to drive new R&D projects to expand the current product and application portfolio will be a key part of this role.
BYK are committed to people’s development and growth. This is a key role with excellent prospects for an innovative scientist with a passion to learn and keep up to date with technology advances.
- Review, improve and validate existing formulation test systems
- Identify and develop new test systems and write test protocols
- Identify and implement new characterisation tools to evaluate formulations to improve our ability to develop new products
- Prepare technical literature, deliver product presentations and training to the global team
- Identify and attend conferences to search out potential new markets for our product range
- Review academic literature and patent database to identify potential new customers, markets and competitor threats
- Maintain strong internal relationships and work as part of, or lead multidisciplinary teams with all relevant internal functions globally such as R&D, end-use, sales and end customers
Your recipe for success
Required / Essential Qualifications, Experience and Attributes
To succeed in this challenging role you will need to be able to demonstrate:
- A good first degree/PhD in Chemistry or a related scientific discipline
- At least 5 years experience of hands on formulation design (DOE), preparation and evaluation
- Goal and customer orientated with relevant industrial experience in coatings, consumer care, catalysis, pharmaceuticals or another parallel industry
- A pragmatic nature, innovative, and with the willingness to work within the matrix organisation of an international group which relies on constructive and flexible teamwork
- Strong leadership skills and possess the ability to influence others for a positive business impact
- Ability to work independently and flexibly with good networking and communication skills
- Project management skills with the ability to supervise individuals to meet deadlines
- Sound computer literacy skills – microsoft office
- Experience in surface colloid chemistry/clay chemistry
- Practical knowledge of rheology measurement in industrial applications would be an advantage
- Able to utilize scientific literature to assist project initiation and development
Your spectrum of advantages
In the ALTANA Group, you will work in a unique culture of innovation where the utmost importance is attached to promoting individual ideas and abilities as well as open, trusting interaction. BYK Additives Limited offers you a lot of advantages. They include an opportunity to work within a dynamic team in a successful business, a competitive salary and benefits package, participation in site bonus scheme, participation in the company pension scheme after a qualifying period, generous annual holiday entitlement as well as excellent development opportunities for the right candidate.
We invite you to get to know us better and to discover your own personal special side of life. Please send us your application, preferably via our jobmarket www.altana.jobs. For further information, please contact:
Dan Weigh, HR Manager, BYK Additives Ltd., Tel +44 (0) 7970 178413
ALTANA AG and its subsidiaries is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Job number: AW00162
Legal entity: BYK Additives Ltd. (UK)
Area of operations: Forschung & Entwicklung allgemein