The ALTANA Group develops and manufactures high-quality, innovative specialty chemical products. With us, you can help shape many important details of the world of the future. Our four divisions BYK, ECKART, ELANTAS, and ACTEGA have set worldwide standards in their markets. Our innovative products enable companies to develop technologies of the future today, technologies that make life easier, safer, and more comfortable. With sales of around 2.7 billion euros, we are one of the world‘s most innovative, fastest-growing, and most proﬁtable chemical companies. We currently employ more than 6,700 people who have good ideas for the world of the future. Discover your decisive plus for your future. Bringing you many advantages.
BYK Additives & Instruments is one of the world’s leading suppliers in the field of additives and measuring instruments. Around the world, the additives of BYK ensure that coatings and plastics obtain precisely the desired properties and the correct quality.
Your task structure
This position manages the chemical support assets for the chemical manufacturing site directed towards root cause determination for production problems, chemical process development for new products, evaluation of new raw material supplies, and customer complaint evaluation. The support assets are the chemical technicians and the equipment, instruments, and chemical inventories necessary to perform and analyze bench chemistry experiments. The position is expected to serve as a department manager and a technical expert filling a vital function in the site management team making decisions that guide the future development of the site. This position is the primary connection between site operations, the corporate R&D organization, and the End Use Managers in the Business Lines.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Design and perform chemical experiments in a safe and effective manner, with focus on the health of colleagues and the environment. Address, correct and report all safety concerns immediately to laboratory personnel. These experiments include plant support and scale-up activities
- Analyze and generate reports for experiments competed across multimedia platforms (Excel, PowerPoint, etc)
- Work with site engineering-
- to install new products and new technologies to the site as it pertains to new product development and scale up.
- Develop trial plans for new development
- Obtain documents needed from R&D and other departments to support new development
- Monitor the testing of in process and finished samples for plant trials
- Manage the raw material approval process (RMM system). This could involve review of the COA, raw materials tests (pH, %NCO, etc.), or, if necessary, making lab batches, sending samples for analysis, etc
- Analyze material using instrumental techniques such as FT-IR and various rheological measurements
- Complete hygiene audits- includes analyzing and developing action items
- Provide lab assistance to the production team- includes QC support and investigations
- Responsible for maintaining lab equipment, troubleshooting, calibrations, and coordination of repair
- Analyze retains and customer samples as needed for customer complaints
- Assist with maintaining up-to-date chemical inventory (create, label, log-in, log out and/or dispose of chemicals- includes ordering)
- Prepare and post SOPs and MOCs for lab equipment and processes
- Support all QC functions as needed including completing QC testing when normal QC Operators are not available.
- Manage all shipping of experimental samples to internal and external sites
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Your recipe for success
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Able to use computers well with capability in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), data entry, email (Outlook), and some SAP (basic) preferred
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Must have good problem-solving skills and have good mathematical skills.
- Must be a self-motivated, team-oriented, and able to perform accurately in a fast-paced environment.
- Able to work in and around a chemical environment.
- Able to present ideas in a logical manner.
- Good attention to detail with a high level of accuracy. Good organization and time management skills.
- Able to work in a group setting or independently while meeting deadlines.
- Maintains a courteous and respectful attitude towards other associates.
- Actively seek additional responsibilities and performs well when more is given.
- Able to make good decisions regarding any situation that may arise in the laboratory work area.
- Bachelor’s degree in chemistry or related science field.
- 0 – 3 years of lab experience
- Excellent knowledge of chemical analytical methods.
- Excellent computer knowledge (Excel, Outlook & PowerPoint).
- Excellent presentation skills, proven ability to solve problems and communicate effectively through all levels of a company.
Your spectrum of advantages
In the ALTANA Group, you will work in a unique culture of innovation where the utmost importance is attached to promoting individual ideas and abilities as well as open, trusting interaction.
We invite you to get to know us better and to become part of our team. Discover your career plus in specialty chemistry. Please send us your application, preferably via our jobmarket www.altana.jobs or to: firstname.lastname@example.org
ALTANA AG and its subsidiaries is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Job number: US00521
Legal entity: BYK USA Inc.
Location: Louisville, KY
Area of operations: Produktion / Fertigung