The ALTANA Group develops and manufactures high-quality, innovative specialty chemical products. With us, you can help shape many important details of the world of the future. Our four divisions BYK, ECKART, ELANTAS, and ACTEGA have set worldwide standards in their markets. Our innovative products enable companies to develop technologies of the future today, technologies that make life easier, safer, and more comfortable. With sales of more than 2.2 billion euros, we are one of the world‘s most innovative, fastest-growing, and most proﬁtable chemical companies. We currently employ about 6,500 people who have good ideas for the world of the future. Discover your decisive plus for your future. Bringing you many advantages.
BYK Additives & Instruments is one of the world’s leading suppliers in the field of additives and measuring instruments. Around the world, the additives of BYK ensure that coatings and plastics obtain precisely the desired properties and the correct quality.
ADP Technology Manager
Your task structure
The ADP Technology Manager is a cross functional position reporting to the Head of Applied Development Plastics to develop proprietary additive systems for polymer compounders and convertors as well as solving problems involving incorporating chemical additives into plastics. This position is “hands on” but also provides strategic input.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Partnering with Plastics team to recommend, develop and execute business solutions and products to achieve profitable growth.
- Applying knowledge of the use, efficacy and interaction between polymer additives to develop commercially viable formulated products, which may include antioxidants, UV stabilizers, flame retardants, lubricants, nucleating agents, etc.
- Developing and formulating additive systems which solve incorporation and additive handling problems for polymers.
- Leadership role in developing proprietary technology to meet customer needs involving interaction with other BYK departments as well as customers to devise additive solutions and to ensure profitable products are developed.
- Conducting polymer development projects and technology foresight experiments for next generation products.
- Supervising technologists in conducting laboratory feasibility studies to develop new plastics additives.
- Scaling-up laboratory solutions to pilot and commercial-scale processes. Provide raw material management activities to support the site.
- Effectively interacting with other functions in the organization (QC, material management, operations…) to insure product development proceeds in a smooth fashion.
- Participate in inventory audits, lab inspections, and support lab organization activities.
- Perform all other duties as assigned
- Assigning and supervising work, up to three (3) technologists
- Ability to work with chemicals in a laboratory environment
- Ability to lift a minimum 50 pounds
- Ability to talk on phone, drive a car and travel by ground and by air coping with conditions of domestic and international travel
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Overnight travel (domestic & international) about 10-15%
- Targeted 75% in office and 25% in the lab (hands on).
- Supervise technologists in the lab
Your recipe for success
- PhD in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering or Polymer Science required; in lieu of PhD, significant professional experience would be considered
- At least five (5) years’ experience in the polymer and/or plastics industry, and an excellent knowledge of compounding and converting operations.
- Specific experience in formulation and performance testing of polymer additives preferred. Experience with engineering thermoplastics (such as PA, PC, PP) would be especially valuable.
- Experience with thermal stabilization of plastics is preferred
- Must be a hands-on individual, capable of conducting experiments.
- Proven leadership and project management skills
- Excellent communications skills are required
- Must be proactive and self-motivated
- High level of knowledge in multiple areas related to chemical procedures, product technologies, analytical methods, manufacturing processes, chemical and physical principles or laboratory procedures of importance to BYK products or processes related to the Plastics industry.
- Knowledge of physical and health hazards associated with chemicals and procedures to analyze and minimize the risks associated with them in a laboratory setting
- Understanding of safety considerations and labeling procedures associated with chemicals in laboratories
- Demonstrated capability to use computer programs for recording and analyzing data, generating reports and preparing presentations
- Independently initiate, lead and execute projects related to the development of new plastics additive products and processes
- Independently design and conduct laboratory experiments
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to provide leadership in a group environment or as part of a larger team
- Proactively work in collaboration with other departments, international colleagues or other stakeholders
- Analyze data, identify trends, and apply statistical techniques to validate conclusions
- Use logic and reason to identify strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems
- Exceptional communication in written and oral form
- Provide training to coworkers, sales and production staff, distributors and customers
- Team oriented and able to interface positively and supportively with other members of the laboratory staff
- Self-starter and able initiate experiments and procedures with supervision
- Willing to work additional hours, as necessary, to meet deadlines
- Supportive of BYK management decisions and company policies
- Communicates openly, particularly with supervisor and immediate coworkers
- Able to communicate well, verbally and written to outside stakeholders such as field personnel, customers, vendors, co-suppliers, etc.
- Willing to learn new concepts, chemistry and chemical analyses related to specialty chemical additives/plastics industry
Your spectrum of advantages
In the ALTANA Group, you will work in a unique culture of innovation where the utmost importance is attached to promoting individual ideas and abilities as well as open, trusting interaction.
We invite you to get to know us better and to become part of our team. Discover your career plus in specialty chemistry. Please send us your application, preferably via our jobmarket www.altana.jobs
ALTANA AG and its subsidiaries is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Job number: US00445
Legal entity: BYK USA Inc.
Location: Earth City, MO
Area of operations: Marketing & Vertrieb allgemein