The ALTANA Group develops and manufactures high-quality, innovative specialty chemical products. With us, you can help shape many important details of the world of the future. Our four divisions BYK, ECKART, ELANTAS, and ACTEGA have set worldwide standards in their markets. Our innovative products enable companies to develop technologies of the future today, technologies that make life easier, safer, and more comfortable. With sales of more than 2.2 billion euros, we are one of the world‘s most innovative, fastest-growing, and most proﬁtable chemical companies. We currently employ about 6,500 people who have good ideas for the world of the future. Discover your decisive plus for your future. Bringing you many advantages.
The BYK division manufactures innovative additives as well as testing and measuring instruments for the coatings and plastic industry, and provides for surface gloss and scratch resistance. BYK Additives & Instruments is one of the world’s leading suppliers in the field of additives and measuring instruments. BYK Additives improve the product characteristics and production processes. The BYK Additives UK is based in Widnes, Cheshire and is part of the BYK Additives & Instruments Division of Altana AG, a privately owned global leader in true speciality chemicals. The UK business develops, manufactures and distributed two major product groups of inorganic additives, Laponite® and Fulacolor/Fulcat®. In line with Altana’s long-term goals, the business is investing significantly in both R&D and asset capability to ensure the continuing growth of these globally successful products.
BYK Additives Limited based in Widnes is a leading manufacturer of speciality chemicals, supplying additives to the coatings, consumer care, oil field and other speciality markets. The site has been the home of inorganic chemical manufacture since 1923 and a part of the BYK Division of ALTANA AG. Two major product groups are made on the Widnes site. These include chemically modified natural minerals and a range of synthetic mineral products supplied under the tradenames of Fulcat and Laponite
Principal Analytical Chemist
Your task structure
The role reports into the BYK UK Head of R&D, part of the Technology Group Rheology and Clays.
This is a hands-on, laboratory based role focussing on providing practical analytical science solutions for internal customers both on site and within the BYK division. This will involve improving existing methodologies, developing new protocols and searching out new techniques together with providing analytical expertise to the global TG Rheology & Clays R&D team. As such, some overseas travel will be necessary.
Leading investigations into existing and new specialised characterisation techniques in areas of novel inorganic materials, formulation science and involvement in third party collaborations to extend our range of additives supplied to the above industries will be central to this role.
Additionally, reviewing technical literature, attending conferences and working with academic partners to improve characterisation of existing and new materials to support new R&D projects and meet regulatory challenges to expand the product portfolio will be key.
BYK are committed to people’s development and growth. This is a key role with excellent prospects for an innovative scientist with a passion to learn and keep up to date with technology advances.
- Review, improve and validate existing analytical methods
- Develop and write new analytical test protocols
- Identify and implement new characterisation tools to improve our ability to develop new products
- Use analytical and statistical tools to provide expert analysis of resulting data
- Ensure maintenance and servicing of analytical equipment
- Maintain strong internal relationships and work as part of, or lead multidisciplinary teams with all relevant internal functions globally
- Provide analytical service to on site and global teams to support analysis of raw materials, inprocess testing, finished product and formulations
- Manage LIMS from a site perspective
Your recipe for success
Required / Essential Qualifications, Experience and Attributes
To succeed in this challenging role you will need to be able to demonstrate:
- PhD in Analytical Chemistry or a related scientific discipline
- At least 10 years experience in the application of modern analytical techniques and development of protocols for the characterisation of complex inorganic based formulations and materials
- Practical experience in one or more of the following techniques: XRF, XRD, thermal techniques (DSC, TGA), AFM, DLS and Rheometry
- Good attention to detail and a high level of numeracy
- A pragmatic nature, innovative, and with the willingness to work within the matrix organisation of an international group which relies on constructive and flexible teamwork
- Scientific curiosity and an ability to solve technical problems
- Strong leadership skills and possess the ability to influence others for a positive business impact
- Ability to work independently and flexibly with good networking and communication skills
- Project management skills with the ability to supervise individuals to meet deadlines
- Sound computer literacy skills – microsoft office
- Experience in surface colloid chemistry/clay chemistry
- Experience of experimental design (DOE) would be an advantage
- Able to utilize scientific literature to assist project initiation and development
- Experience of using LIMS
Your spectrum of advantages
In the ALTANA Group, you will work in a unique culture of innovation where the utmost importance is attached to promoting individual ideas and abilities as well as open, trusting interaction. BYK Additives Limited offers you a lot of advantages. They include an opportunity to work within a dynamic team in a successful business, a competitive salary and benefits package, participation in site bonus scheme, participation in the company pension scheme after a qualifying period, generous annual holiday entitlement as well as excellent development opportunities for the right candidate.
We invite you to get to know us better and to discover your own personal special side of life. Please send us your application, preferably via our jobmarket www.altana.jobs. For further information, please contact:
Dan Weigh, HR Manager, BYK Additives Ltd., Tel +44 (0) 7970 178413
ALTANA AG and its subsidiaries is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Job number: DW0709
Legal entity: BYK Additives Ltd. (UK)
Area of operations: Forschung & Entwicklung allgemein