The ALTANA Group develops and manufactures high-quality, innovative specialty chemical products. With us, you can help shape many important details of the world of the future. Our four divisions BYK, ECKART, ELANTAS, and ACTEGA have set worldwide standards in their markets. Our innovative products enable companies to develop technologies of the future today, technologies that make life easier, safer, and more comfortable. With sales of more than 2.2 billion euros, we are one of the world‘s most innovative, fastest-growing, and most proﬁtable chemical companies. We currently employ about 6,500 people who have good ideas for the world of the future. Discover your decisive plus for your future. Bringing you many advantages.
The ACTEGA division manufactures innovative coatings and sealants and gives packaging attractive surfaces while keeping the contents fresh.
Your task structure
This position will involve the formulation and testing of new and innovative products as well as reformulation of existing products. This includes all market segments in ACTEGA in the US. These chemistries include UV and/or aqueous inks, coatings, adhesives and fountain solutions for lithographic inks. This role also includes different project assignments and technical support to customers, Sales, Manufacturing and Quality.
This includes the following job duties and responsibilities:
- Formulate new products based on customer, company and market needs and opportunities
- Organize and maintain product development records and data files, ie. lab notebooks, project files, raw material, equipment and product information etc.
- Assist in the integration of the technical "know-how", formulations, and/or processes from lab bench to pilot scale and finally into commercial production.
- Lab bench work formulating and testing as necessary for successful completion of lab project work.
- Develop a working knowledge of available analytical and physical testing equipment and have the ability to use these tools for new product development, troubleshooting product quality issues and investigating customer product failure claims.
- Recommend procurement of new equipment that is necessary for successful project completion.
- Communicate effectively company product needs and opportunities with third parties (customers, development partners, vendors, and business line - affiliated entities) in order to provide interim and final deliverables within reasonable time and budget constraints.
- Secure relevant intellectual property by patent application and by safeguarding company trade secrets.
- Technical cooperation as a part of cross-functional teams within an international division of affiliated companies under the roof of a global premium specialty chemicals group.
- Utilize existing and /or emerging technologies to design and build customer needed value added products with a competitive advantage that drives tactical and strategic business growth.
Your recipe for success
- BS degree in Chemistry or Chemical Engineering or related science as well as 5+ years of experience Coatings (Inks as well for NC position) – ideally within the Graphic Arts Industry. Adhesives formulation experience is a plus.
- Excellent oral, written, and presentation communication skills including the ability to read and properly interpret information, follow safety procedures, and present to large and small groups.
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Ability to differentiate color nuances (for NC position).
- Above-average proficiency in Microsoft Excel.
- SAP and Minitab experience preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to be very detail oriented and accurate in both written and verbal communications.
- Experience in acrylate chemistry should include knowledge of photoinitiators, resin - monomer systems, additives, aqueous resin solution and acrylic emulsion polymers.
- Knowledge of fountain solution formulation is a plus.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The work environment involves working in a laboratory, office environment and manufacturing plant. Usual physical demands of these environments are required including but not limited to:
- Standing: < 80%
- Lifting: < 20%
- Kneeling, stooping, squatting - Infrequently
- Ability to deal with infrequent extreme temperature conditions including heat and cold
- Ability to work in an environment around chemicals that may cause various odors
Your spectrum of advantages
In the ALTANA Group, you will work in a unique culture of innovation where the utmost importance is attached to promoting individual ideas and abilities as well as open, trusting interaction. ACTEGA North America offers you a lot of advantages. They include a competitive total compensation package that includes medical, dental, vision and prescription insurance, company paid life and accidental death insurance, long and short term disability insurance, 401k, paid vacation and holidays, tuition reimbursement program.
We invite you to get to know us better and to become part of our team. Discover your career plus in specialty chemistry. Please send us your application, preferably via our jobmarket www.altana.jobs or to: Kendal Bradley, Human Resources, ACTEGA North America, Kendal.Bradley@altana.com
ALTANA AG and its subsidiaries is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Job number: R021
Legal entity: ACTEGA North America Inc.
Location: Cinnaminson, NJ
Area of operations: Forschung & Entwicklung allgemein