The ALTANA Group develops and manufactures high-quality, innovative specialty chemical products. With us, you can help shape many important details of the world of the future. Our four divisions BYK, ECKART, ELANTAS, and ACTEGA have set worldwide standards in their markets. Our innovative products enable companies to develop technologies of the future today, technologies that make life easier, safer, and more comfortable. With sales of more than 2 billion euros, we are one of the world‘s most innovative, fastest-growing, and most proﬁtable chemical companies. We currently employ about 6,000 people who have good ideas for the world of the future. Discover your decisive plus for your future. Bringing you many advantages.
BYK Additives & Instruments is one of the world’s leading suppliers in the field of additives and measuring instruments. Around the world, the additives of BYK ensure that coatings and plastics obtain precisely the desired properties and the correct quality.
End-Use Specialist – Special Coatings
Your task structure
To serve customers, or potential customers of BYK USA Inc. via additive recommendations derived through experience or through TSRs and projects. Maintain effective information exchange with the End-Use Manager. Perform necessary laboratory functions as per the job description. Visit customers on lab projects and support.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Outline, organize, perform and lead technical service experiments and projects for its assigned end-use(s), as approved.
- Review and modify technical service protocol from chemists on the team.
- Mentor and train chemists on test methods and paint formulations.
- Draft reports of technical service experiments performed.
- Interface with laboratory staff at BYK-Chemie GmbH in Wesel, Germany on processes, problem solving, and new products.
- Relay technical information in informal conversation, written report, or presentation format to paints & coatings customers, raw material suppliers, BYK-Chemie employees and visitors to the Wallingford laboratory.
- Must travel to Wesel, Germany, on occasion, for training purposes. Must also travel to sales meeting(s), as necessary.
- Must travel to customers (up to 30-40%) to present lab TSR’s, new LP products & Projects to customers in North America.
- Present and attend seminars and trade shows, as necessary.
- Order and maintain stock of needed raw materials for paints & coatings.
- Interface with raw material suppliers regarding pigments, resins, and starting point formulations for paints & coatings.
- Guide chemists in the lab with project recommendations, SPF information and LP screening based on market experience.
- Guide team to prepare demonstration material for use by sales and distribution staff as directed.
- Lead/aid the chemist team to respond to customer technical inquiries received via telephone, e-mail, websites, etc.
- Outline and execute the evaluation of competitive additive products as agreed upon by End Use Managers & Applied Technology Specialists.
- Evaluation of new coatings, raw materials, binders, solvents, pigments, etc., insofar as they might affect BYK USA business per agreement with End-Use Managers & Application Technology Specialists
- Handle hazardous waste according to procedure.
- Follow emergency response procedures.
- Proactively address and correct all unsafe behaviors and conditions.
- Ensure compliance with safety policies.
- Maintain an orderly workplace.
- Paint & Coatings Formulation
- Additives, especially for General Industrial, Can & Coil and Powder coatings
- Testing and application methods
- Problems and defects encountered in paint formulation and application
- Laboratory equipment (dispersion, rheology measurement, gloss & color measurement, spraying, etc.)
- Working procedures for the performance of technical service requests and projects
- Physical and health hazards associated with the use of chemicals
- Computer programs necessary to perform job accurately: word processor, spreadsheets, presentation program
- Ability to distinguish fine variations in color and gloss
- Data entry skills
- Ability to work with chemicals (particularly additives, pigments, binders, solvents…)
- Ability to lift 50 lbs
- Ability to drive a car
- Ability to travel by ground and by air
- Coping with conditions or International travel
Your recipe for success
- Four-year technical degree and/or approximately 10 years of practical experience.
- Paint technical service experience
- Good problem solving abilities.
- Good communication skills.
- Able to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Productivity/Quality: ability to complete thoroughly and accurately a certain volume of work in a timely fashion
- Ability to perform multiple tasks/projects with good planning, organizing and prioritizing
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision
- Problem solving ability
- Creativity, ability to innovate
- Communication skills: verbal and written
Your spectrum of advantages
In the ALTANA Group, you will work in a unique culture of innovation where the utmost importance is attached to promoting individual ideas and abilities as well as open, trusting interaction.
We invite you to get to know us better and to become part of our team. Discover your career plus in specialty chemistry. Please send us your application, preferably via our jobmarket www.altana.jobs or to: email@example.com
ALTANA AG and its subsidiaries is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Job number: US00275
Legal entity: BYK USA Inc.
Location: Wallingford, CT
Area of operations: Produktentwicklung